Monday, November 21, 2011

The goal in mind

My husband and I seriously discussed adopting a child with many issues today. It was exciting and terrifying at the same time. The more I thought about it the more discouraged I got. I'd be giving up a lot. It would be hard. My poor back... And the way this child looks in the picture... just lying in a crib... it's too much. Part of me wants to hide the picture away and go back to a world where this kind of neglect doesn't happen to children.

But it does. And that's why we're doing this in the first place.

So today I'm keeping my mind on the end goal. I'm taking one day at a time, but my eyes are fixed on the prize.

Here's the prize.

That's what I wait for. That's what love can do. The picture of the child we're looking at now will not be the same as when my love hits them.

Here's the prize.

Not the same as before. Loved. Wanted. Saved. Not sad anymore. That's what's coming.

Here. This is the prize.

When starving becomes fed. When fear becomes love. When terrified becomes quiet.

And there's so many. So so many. With the same story. The same before and after pictures.

Then when I look at that goal, and those who have gone before me, my puny courage kicks in. There's a purpose. My goal is not pictured in this little one's face yet. But in that little face there's a promise, a possibility and a great big bundle of potentiality.

No comments:

Post a Comment