Thursday, January 5, 2012

Where'd all our time go?

You remember that scene in Labyrinth where Jareth asks Sarah how she's enjoying the labyrinth and she says, "It's a piece of cake." So he punishes her by shortening the time she has left to save baby Toby? Yeah it's like that.

For those of you who have been asking when we'd go to U to see our son, and I just didn't know a timeline, well after a long-distance call to our wonderful Reece's Rainbow stateside helper (also, incredibly, an AMC mom!) we have a pretty good idea! We think we'll have everything submitted and Charles and I would be scheduling our first flights in late April! Nothing is guaranteed, but LATE APRIL! Holy cow! That means we could reasonably be bringing our son home early this summer!

Can you believe it?!!! There's a really good chance that my Mother's Day gift this year will be getting to see and hold my own son!!!

That's a lot sooner than we thought! We're super excited, but not in a throw-a-party way, but more like a whoa-you-just-kicked-our-ant-hive way! We were told by our home study people that this would take a year. In fact they recently changed the home study for us to say he can be three years old when we get him since the process takes so long. So we assumed it would take a year.

You see, in a lot of ways we're still really new and stupid at this. :)

So it's great, wonderful news! But now we're scrambling to get everything done. We have a major knee surgery for our daughter taking place 3,000 miles away and we leave on the 29th of this month for it! And our lives just become a mad house after that.

So we're kicking it into high gear! We now have a whole lot LESS time to raise a whole LOT of money!

So far we've been so incredibly blessed! It's amazing! We have less than $14,000 to go. If we can raise most of that we can probably get a loan for the rest. But a loan would be hard on us and we'd love to instead spend that on great medical care for our son. So we're really hoping we can do this crazy thing and raise all this money in just a few short months! I think we can do it!


The financial barriers say we can't though. They've been taunting us. :)



Stay tuned for our next fundraiser. It will start tomorrow if I can line everything up last minute.

And did I mention we could be flying to U in late spring?!!! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that time will be gone in a snap. I know you'll make the goal!

    I love that the typo says you and Charles will be scheduling your "first fights." Number one, after 7.5 years of marriage, that's very impressive. Number two, scheduling? Wow, you really are organized!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flights! Not fights! Hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget--check out grants from ShowHope and Gift of Adoption. Does y'all's church have any kind of adoption grant? There's an org called LifeSong for Children that gives matching grants to accompany some church grants. They do some other funding, too. Yaaaaay paperwork-don't you need more of it?!

    And no-y'all aren't dumb at this-that's just the paperwork smack-talking you. Don't let all that fingerprint immigration crap intimidate you--own it, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't qualify for Show Hope OR Gift of Adoption financial help since we're adopting from an independent, non-Hague country. Boohoo. We do receive RR help, in this case what was in our son's fund before we commited. And of course RR is offering tax deductible giving to our sponsors!

    I will send an email to my church about LifeSong. (I haven't been a member very long so they don't all know me, but they're cool people so we'll see.) It sounds like if they got Life Song set up with that it would help, but not in our timeframe. Still it would help other families. Thanks Anna!

    And also EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What exciting news! I can only imagine how excited you are! I have been wondering what to do with my baby stuff and even asked Michelle at RR if there was anyway to get some stuff to EE! ha ha, yeah right! BUT, I thought 1. if u need anything I could ship it (on my tab of course!) OR, I could try to sell it and give the $ to you. I have a crib, swing, bouncy seat, highchair, travel system (infant car seat with big stroller that it can attach to and about two tons of boy and girl clothes. Let me know! There was an AZ family adopting and I had emailed them but they never responded and now they are fully funded (which is awesome) but if I could use this stuff to help another family.....2 birds with 1 stone (clean my house, help bring an angel home)

    ReplyDelete