Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Joel is our son!


Introducing my son!


I have found that there are three stages in every great work of God: first, it is impossible, then it is difficult, then it is done." ~Hudson Taylor

See that little boy up there? He's MINE!!!!! We're committing to him! I'm balling my eyes out! I keep telling his picture, "You're mine now kiddo!"

And it's weird as I look at his picture because I have ten kagillion pictures of my daughter, but only one of my son. (I love saying that... my SON!)

This is one of the greatest days of my life! I have to tell you all about it. The whole day was the BEST. DAY. EVER.

And I will tell you every detail because I want it saved in writing for all eternity!

I woke up early to put Laelia on the bus. I then put in a few hours of work. Then I got my company Christmas/Holiday present... an iPad!!! The iPad is going to be so I can face chat with my boss who is Deaf and uses American Sign Language (I can't call on the phone), but I can also use this with my daughter's occupational therapy! And the money we have been saving to buy one of these for Laelia can now cover our next medical trip to Philadelphia on January 29th! That money covers the rental car, food, gas and our part of the Ronald McDonald House bill! (Surgery itself is covered by Shriners.) WOW! What a blessing!

Then I went to Laelia's school. I brought her crutches with me and Laelia showed off walking without a gait trainer to her school friends for the first time! Laelia's teachers and aide were amazed and the crutches (aka walking sticks) are going to school with her from now on! That was a magical moment.

Then I took Laelia to the muscular dystrophy clinic (even though she doesn't have MD but she qualifies because of her myopathy) and she showed off her skills to her California doctor. He was super encouraging! He could not believe she's only been walking for two weeks! He gave us great ideas on her next wheelchair and shoes. They also gave her a bear and she named it after the doctor. Then my four year old tried to convince the doctor to let the bear take over his work and he should crawl in the bag and have Mommy carry him home with us. "No one will know because you have the same name." :) It was fun!

Then I went home to my husband because he got to work from home today! And I had his full attention since I was holding an iPad in my hands. :) His eyes were fixed to the shiny piece of technology as I rattled on about my school trip and clinic visit. He looked like a kid in a candy store! So much fun! I think that's the most attentive he's been in our whole marriage. Hehe. ;)

Then my husband ran off to plug the iPad into our computer to activate it. So realizing I was going to lose my computer (and most likely my husband) for several hours I asked to check my email really quick before he got busy. I had an email from Andrea from Reece's Rainbow.

Now the only reason we had not committed to that little guy pictured above before now was that besides having institutional "issues" AND arthrogryposis, he also had convulsive disorder. We didn't know if "convulsive disorder" would be something he grew out of, required daily medication for or if it was code for grand mal seizures. I have spent a LOT of time researching how to live with seizures, but my husband did not feel we could handle seizures and the ever-present fear of brain damage from a bad one. Then we get this email from Andrea!

"Hi Alexis, I just talked to Serge today.   He spoke with the orphanage director and Joel does not have any seizures.  He is not on medication or anything like that.  He probably has/had some stiffness or jerky motions because of his limb issues that may have been interpreted as 'epileptic', but our understanding is that he is a typically developing child with arthro."

She went on to say there are no guarantees and anything could happen, but I could barely see her words because of the tears. It was the last answer to prayer, the last hurdle before committing to him.

God worked it out so that my husband got the news at the same time I did as he knelt beside me (iPad in hand). He was right by my side. I turned to him and he nodded. I started to write back,

"Hello Andrea, CAN WE COMMIT TO HIM PLEASE?!!! Consider him OURS! Put him on the My Family Found Me Page. Mine mine mine mine mine mine mine!!!"

There was more to my immature (typical) email, but it was at this point that I turned to my wonderful husband and balled loud tears into his shoulder. They hit me like a punch to the gut. I just cried and cried loudly. (I have said this before, but I DON'T cry pretty.) Then I turned back to my email and started to write, "Sorry I got emotional" and then realized Andrea didn't see that! Haha! No need to apologize. I deleted those lines and finished by saying, "What's the next step?"

Instead of throwing me a party, Andrea sent me lots of paperwork. Oh well. :)

With tears of pure joy streaming down my face I realized that my friend Chelsea was standing at my door! At that very moment! I opened the door and just started blubbering, "I have a son! I have a son!" and hugging her. Chelsea looked so confused as I accosted her while blubbering and leaking tears everywhere. Eventually I was able to communicate clearly. God not only planned my husband to be at home by my side when I got the news, but my friend was walking up my driveway that very moment as well!

Laelia asked if I was happy or sad because I kept crying. I explained that I cried when she was born and I cried at my wedding and sometimes I'm silly and cry when I'm so so so happy. Then I gave her ice cream for lunch. :)

I'm just so happy. I'm excited and shaky and worried and, and, and it's wonderful!

1 comment: