Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Left to die


Baby left to die in EE

This little six month old baby has hydrocephalus, which is when fluid builds up in the head. A simple shunt to drain the fluid would save his life. He won't get it. He is slated to die any day now.

He may have died while I wrote this post.

Here's the sick thing: His country has the means to save his life, but won't. They don't save children with disabilities who "have no future."

Did you notice the hole in his head? The pressure built up so much it burst. He's in extreme agony.

Read the whole story here.

Many times I see pictures of babies with special needs in EE lying down in cribs looking sleepy. They don't cry so they're not in pain, right? Wrong. They don't cry because crying doesn't get them help. The simple act of being cared for after you cry helps develop trust and security in children. When this doesn't happen because care givers only touch a child when proping up his bottle or changing his diaper (maybe once or twice daily) then a host of lifelong psychological issues can happen to that child. Attachment disorder is a terrible thing, and when you see pictures of babies lying down in cribs in any institution you're watching it happen.


Here's another baby in a crib in EE.

This baby has untreated arthrogryposis. That means that his joints are stiff and there's no one to stretch them to see that he has full function later in life. Without treatment he won't be able to meaningfully use his arms or legs. Treatment works the best during the first year of life. This baby turned one last October. He needs rescue so badly. I wonder if anyone comes when he cries. I wonder if they drug him to keep him quiet. I know it happens. I can't imagine a worse fate than neglect and loneliness at the hands of people who don't consider you fully human. With his epilepsy he's so helpless. I've blogged about this little bundle before. The need is real.

I started to add more pictures of different kids we've been praying for and giving to who are lying in cribs in EE to spread awareness, but I'm just an emotional mess now and have a full day of work ahead of me. Just know there are many more.

And now that we've starting this adoption process to save one of these children suffering in an institution, I've started to feel this need in my gut.


No comments:

Post a Comment